Re: [LUG] Servers and NAS

> Hi Neil and all
>
> On 15/02/07, Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Anyway, I have used the FreeNAS software.. seems ok from memory, i'll
>> putt
>> > the CD out again and see what I can recall...
>> >

>> s/putt/pull/
>>
>> grr. stupid keyboard can't type
>>
> Nice one - I get that problem normally after 6 whiskeys!
>
> Thanks for the help on the FreeNas stuff. I am currently experimenting
> with a Synology box. I will also be setting up two other file servers,
> one with a Debian and headless and the second with FreeNAS and
> headless. I'll let you know how I get on!
>
> So over to the Synology box. First off installation is very easy and I
> can see why folks would want to use something like this. Plug in,
> access the box and press go. Installation and set up a breeze!
>
> First problem! How do I connect to it from outside? I have a static ip
> address and would like to forward this address through my Netgear
> NG834G to the said Synology. Any ideas how I do this please?

I assume you mean from outside it's subnet.. ie over the interweb ??

Assuming you have control over the netgear modem/router you should be able
to forward ports from the internet to the NAS box. simply specify your
external IP address as the source, and the NAS box IP as the
destination...

Does this box have built in SMB authentication ?