Re: [LUG] Ethernet problem

George Duller wrote:
> Can anyone help please?
> I have Mandrake 10.0 installed and working well. I have an ethernet card
> and a D-link ADSL router. I used the configuration tool to set up an
> ethernet link so that I can have Broad Band under Linux. It works OK
> provided that I edit /etc/resolv.conf to include a second nameserver
> which is the one Tiscali provide, but this has to be done every time I
> start Mozilla. What is the trouble please?

Note that this is assuming NON-DHCP, explicitly specifying nameserers
and also - for Debian (since that's what I know). If it's not the same
in Mandrake, apologies.

In /etc/network there is a file called interfaces.
Edit it to read something like;

# eth0 is the NIC
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.0.0.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.148
broadcast 10.0.0.255
dns-nameservers 10.0.0.148
auto eth0

Obviously change the values to suit your setup. I use my router .148 as
a nameserver but you could use your isp's directly if you need.