Re: [LUG] meetings

On 14/2/2007, "Julian Hall" wrote:

>james kilty wrote:
>> What are the areas I
>> am likely to get into difficulties with as regards teenagers' computer
>> interests and needs? (I am rather inexpert but willing to learn and I
>> don't underestimate teenagers zeal to learn - just give them their
>> head!).
>>
>One area I can think of straight away is the teenagers fad for MSN
>Messenger - if you can't offer them a way to download viruses left right
>and cen.... oops... I mean to IM their friends on MSN you may have an
>uphill battle maintaining their interest.  Hopefully though the ones who
>turn up to a Linux group will be the ones with more to do with their
>braincells than that :)
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Julian

One of the things I get some of my students (those aiming for a Merit or
Distinction) in my "Operating Systems" module to do is to download and
compile from source GAIM... on the Linux system they've just installed.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily suggest getting your lot to do this for your
after-school GNU/Linux club, but maybe get them into GAIM?

Also, Flash is a biggy.  Might want to talk about Free vs Proprietary
software with regard to Flash.  (The new Flash 9 plugin works a treat
with ALSA, by the way... something that I've been looking forward to
for *ages*.)  Flash, not only for their various favoured "games"
sites, but also for things like MySpace (and less so for things like
Bebo).  Without a working Flash installation, these sites are pretty
painful to use.

My £0.02

--Grant.