[LUG] NHS security

Dear all

I followed up a concern about security posted last year, with my MP,
Andrew George. He wrote to the Minister of State, Lord Hunter, who
replied at length.

I will send the letter to anyone who wants it, but here are selected
quotes to give you the gist.

"by contrast to many existing systems, the new systems and services
incorporate stringent security controls and safeguards to prevent
unrestricted or uncontrolled access to personal information. Access is
controlled by a unique user identity ... verification ... user
registration process. Only those NHS staff who have a 'legitimate
relationship' ... 'role-based access control', access to a patient's
care record is limited to only as much information as is needed for the
care or other job role being performed in relation to the patient".

"... GP2GP transfer ... secure way ...pass records ... changed GPs ..."

"... national summary care record ... uploading data from GP records. At
first this will be limited to details of medication and allergies...."
then goes on to describe the controls and who might have access ("member
of a work group such as a GP practice or a clinic with which the patient
is registered or has been referred to").

James