Re: [LUG] Tablet driver compilation error (debian)

On 09/02/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not as straightforward this one.
:-(

Standard practise in embedded applications is that a tap simulates a
left click and a tap-and-hold simulates a right click (without changing
the applications), so it's all available for customisation. What does
tap-and-hold send in your case?

What applications are you using to detect the taps?

Tablets, to me, are all about drawing rather than pointing - is this
why you want to use a tablet? What happens if you try to draw a shape?

It is, of course, possible that this is how the driver is configured
before compilation. Are there any docs within the driver source that
may indicate the mapping? If the driver is simply dropping all signals
relating to a left or right click, then applications are a bit lost and
you'll have to find a fix in the driver itself. If the driver is simply
prioritising middle click, for whatever reason, then some applications
are going to be able to remap the signals.

Middle click does seem a strange default - I'd have expected a similar
approach to embedded touch screens above - after all, a tablet pen is
just a jumped up touch screen stylus. Middle click is all about copy
+paste or scroll movements - strange.

It appears to be some sort of fourth button that it is sending - the GNOME menu requires that I hold the mouse button down, Amiga-style, and middle-clicking using a mouse doesn't do that.

The driver docs mention a configure.h file which I'm meant to edit, but no such file exists. Drawing a shape is fine, for most intents and purposes, but the pressure sensitivity in Inkscape is rather wierd.

Anyone want to buy me a Cintiq for Easter? Only £1844 :)

--
Ben Goodger
#391382