Re: [LUG] Java, VIM, tabs, spaces and indents

Hi Simon,

Thought I'd give my opinion as something of a java fan.  Many people (myself
included) consider java to be a well-designed modern language (arguably,
aside from the exception model).  It *is*, however, poorly designed in the
sense that a screwdriver is ineffective tool for knocking in nails.

Java is designed to be used as an objected-oriented language.  This means
that your code should typically be distributed across a good many classes so
that, in a sense, as much of the logic as possible is expressed in the
structure of the program.  The benefits of java become more apparent the
larger the code base, and seem more like obstacles for "quick and dirty"
solutions or for those attempting to use a procedural programming style.  A
lot of indentation, as others have pointed out, usually means you can
refactor to something more manageable.  An overly-large class has a "bad
smell":

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/People/SmellsToRefactorings

I think you're missing a lot of the benefits of java by not using an IDE
such as Eclipse or Netbeans.  Tools such as code-completion and package
navigation are indispensable (at least for bears of little brain such as
myself) - especially when it becomes necessary to quickly get up to speed
with one of the bewildering array of available libraries.  They also allow
you to specify formatting rules to be applied to your code at a keystroke :)

Good luck!
Ralph.