[LUG] Help with my Linux (re-installing)

I hope this works 'cos I have had considerable trouble actually posting this and I'm not sure list recognises my e-mail address. If all you and I get this then it's there is no need for this note!! Here is pasted my original attempt at posting:-

Dear All Linux Users

 I have been getting your e-mails for many years now but have not used you. I am not even sure this will get through as I have forgotten my Log On name and the Password.

 Some time ago (well a long time actually) I did boot up with a Linux but had trouble at that time installing, the hardware in particular. I could neither get a modem that would work and my video card seemed not to work properly and printers. I did find out what to write on what I think you call the command line but I never understood WHERE to write it. Different programming commands presumable need to go in different parts of the system. I know I may seem stupid but I could never find anyone who would properly explain this and I read all the Linux for Dummies and other instructions.

 Well I really want to try again, as my annoyance with Bill Gates is probably greater than ever (notwithstanding Vista!!) and I have recently had to rebuild my computer after a blown motherboard and a scrapped hard disc. I have re-installed my W98se MANY times and even spent money to a computer shop to try for me and it is now still not working properly.

 How should I start? There are several distros in the magazines in Smiths but I am confused as to which is which and exactly what is the meaning of these distros. One says Fedora 6 core (another seems to imply that this is also Red Hat) on 5 DVD's. Another says Ubuntu? and says this is the easiest to use. I realise that a core is free but are the distros merely some programmes or are you tied to a particular desktop? Can you mix these different distros or are they completely different systems? What do you suggest a beginner should start with?

 If I get it working can I import my MSword files directly to such as Star Office and can I send them as attachments to people in a form that they can receive (most can receive MSword.doc but I suppose I may have to use Adobe PDF's?)? Or do I have to install WINE ? and is it possible to run a programme that was just on DOS? (it is an excellent DTP, some of you may have heard of it, called Jetsetter and much better than anything else I can find ? except possibly the very expensive Quark Express ? unless you know different!)

  Better still is there anyone down this way - Penzance or St Just (Penwith) - willing to help me get started? Or is there a course I can go on (that is inexpensive as I live on a minimum state pension of only £85 a week!)?

  Life, love, peace and freedom

  Pete (Le M)

Peter M Le Mare
Petanna Peace Barn