Re: [LUG] PDA M$

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 19:15:28 +0000
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello again
>
> My friend says
>
> I'm not sure if I would be able to install Linux on the PDA, as I know
> of no way of flashing the chip.

Flashing the ROM is not a problem - it just needs to be done carefully.

> In any case, I doubt if I could run my
> satnav software under Linux and that's my main reason for having the PDA
> in the first place.

I don't know of a free software sat nav program but that doesn't mean
that they don't exist. The biggest issue is getting access to the
updates - things like traffic news etc. Most of that data is non-free.

Give it time - after all, anything in free software is an SMOP.
(Simple Matter Of Programming).

If anyone out there wants to pick up the baton and get involved . . .

--

Neil Williams