Re: [LUG] Linux based Kiosk

On 01/02/07 20:49:52, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Gemini FM are going to be at this years Devon County Show.  I wasn't
> sure what the IT requirements were until today.  It seems that they
> want
> a couple of PCs so visitors can browse the Gemini FM web site.
>
> What did spring to mind though is that the ADSL connection we would
> use
> would connect straight into the company network (the company run
> something along the lines of an ISP for staff/small company sites).
> Rather than risk security issues with running Windows 2000 (the PCs
> are
> P3-667's) I figured Linux would be the better option.
>
> I'm looking for something that would offer a simple GUI interface
> (Xfce
> maybe, or FVWM2) and a locked down browser (I have seen Opera has a
> Kiosk mode) that will not have an address bar.
>
> I'm thinking of implementing a firewall/proxy server to go between
> these
> two PCs and the ADSL connection just to make sure only web traffic
> gets
> through.

google for linux kiosk.

One thing you could do is use ltsp, I was investigating this for
another project and it is quite easy to setup.

If you wanted 2 kiosks...
get 3 machines.
install ltsp on 1
boot the other 2 from it.
you can use icewm as the window manager and firefox allows you to
remove all the navigation stuff so that you just have a browser window.
You set it to log in automatically

Advanatge of using ltsp is that a quick reboot and everything is reset.
You could also use a customised live CD to do that same thing, but I
have not been down this route, might need to use this if you can't boot
over the network.

Get some touch screen and you can loose the mouse and keyboard, I am
sure you can rent kisoks.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\