[LUG] virus and firewall

My friend says:

"I note also that the virus/firewall issue is under
discussion.  AVG certainly offer protection against viruses, but I'm
uncertain about the firewall situation.  Apparently the sociopaths who
write viruses have recently taken an interest in Linux and there's some
malware around"

How should I reply? I told him I thought a router should be good as a
firewall and Linux distros including Ubuntu had their own for each
desktop. He will be communicating with Windows computers on his LAN so
the AVG for Linux might be useful.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk