Re: [LUG] What is the purpose of free software ?

On 29/01/07, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 29 January 2007 16:54, Benjamin A'Lee wrote:

> The OpenBSD project, at least, uses a BSD-type licence for this very
> reason - they'd prefer that proprietary software used their code (which
> is designed with an emphasis on security) rather than writing their own,
> probably buggier, implementation of whatever.
But you can still write code that uses (l)GPL stuff that is proprietary.

There is an added complication to this - you can link at compile time but not at runtime to GPL software AFAIK. So Microsoft is free to compile their bugware under the GCC, assuming that the GCC is GPL and not LGPL..

BSD gives you your cake and you get to eat others cake as well.

Quite. Yay for public domain with more words!

--
Ben Goodger
#391382