Re: [LUG] OT: Anyone got an Amstrad PCW ?

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:35:37 -0000
"Ray Smith" <rayjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Has anyone got a working Amstrad PCW with 720K drive ?
>
> Not usually - Amstrad used their own diskette size (3.0 inch) -
> thicker and smaller than 5 1/4. You'd need to have an external
> "standard" floppy drive for the Amstrad to have used any normal
> diskette. It was the larger Amstrads that had standard 3.5 inch
> floppy drives.
>
> The amstrad 720k machines ran cpm using 3.5 inch disks.

It turns out that there were two Amstrad PCW's with 720k, one with a
3.0 inch floppy drive and one with a 3.5 inch floppy drive.

The 3.5 inch can be used with an emulator, the 3.0 inch need a custom
Amstrad drive.

I expected that as Tom was looking for a "working PCW with 720k drive"
that he was looking for the 3.0 inch version that I knew from
University days.

I had my dissertation on a set of 3.0inch Amstrad floppies - the OS was
on the floppy in the A: drive and the data on the double density B:
drive. Took almost a full day to print! I can't imagine entrusting such
important data to something as fragile as a floppy drive now but there
was no alternative available to undergraduates at that time. (I'm
feeling old!)

# The PCW8512 or Joyce Plus (1985) came with 512 kB RAM and two 3-inch
# floppy drives, the second of which could store 720 kB on an 80-track
# double-density floppy without needing the disk to be turned over.

# The PcW9256 (1991) had a modern, smaller case design similar to the
# 9512, but had 256 kB RAM, a single 3½-inch 720 kB floppy drive, a
# dot-matrix printer, and no parallel port.
(Wikipedia)

Which disk do you have, Tom?

--

Neil Williams