Re: [LUG] OT: Anyone got an Amstrad PCW ?

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Neil Williams
Sent: 27 January 2007 10:02
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] OT: Anyone got an Amstrad PCW ?

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:59:11 +0000
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday 27 January 2007 01:34, Tom Brough wrote:
> > Ok this is very OT but ........
> >
> > Has anyone got a working Amstrad PCW with 720K drive ?

> Would that be 5 1/4 inch ? If so you might be able to read it on a

Not usually - Amstrad used their own diskette size (3.0 inch) - thicker and
smaller than 5 1/4. You'd need to have an external "standard" floppy drive
for the Amstrad to have used any normal diskette. It was the larger Amstrads
that had standard 3.5 inch floppy drives.

> you like. There are emulators for just about every machine that ever
> walked the earth though you may have to run the emulator under dosemu.

With a non-standard disk size and capacity, only a genuine Amstrad floppy
drive will do.

BTW: Tom (B): Are you sure that the data is still intact after all this
time? Are you looking to migrate this data to more current hardware?
(because the Amstrad PCW 8_mumble_ machines have no support for "standard"
devices - you could access the data but not be able to transfer it (other
than the laborious method of displaying it on the Amstrad screen and typing
it into a text editor of a "normal" computer. About the only way I could
ever transfer data from a PCW to anything else was to print it from the
Amstrad and type it in by hand!)

IIRC the Amstrad PCW 9_mumble series had some kind of peripheral support
that could conceivably give you some form of connection to a standard
computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_PCW

This may be the best solution:
http://www.pcwking1.netfirms.com/disc-conversions.html

Yes, he charges a small fee but then if someone here did have a PCW you may
have had to pay out the same amount just in fuel.

--

Neil Williams
=============

The amstrad 720k machines ran cpm using 3.5 inch disks.
My boss at the time had 2. and I was able to take them home and use them on
a spectrum +3 using an external 720k drive using locomotives cpm.
There was no problem reading them using cpm emulators on a pc that had raw
access to the disk on a pc drive as long as it was a 720k drive and not
1.44.

I have an old 720 external drive but not sure if it still works. It's been
in a box for years.
I HAVE used it on an old 386 to access data fron a cpm disk that was written
on a pcw amstrad machine but that was a locscipt file. Again years ago.
So yes, it is possible.

Ray