Re: [LUG] meetings and Open University

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 20:59, Paul Sutton wrote:
>            I went along to the Open University open event in Torquay
> today, and while there asked if anyone would be interested in
> talking to the user group about courses,  they do have one
> person that does this,   so perhaps if at a later event,  this
> may be a possibility for  a talk etc,
>
>  May not be fully OSS / Linux related,  but would be of interest to anyone
> wanting to work and study for a computer  degree (or whatever) plus
> perhaps for us ask questions regarding use of Linux in courses,   esp
> given the recent posting of the article saying about how much Linux is
> going to grow between now and 2011,   to me this highlights the need for
> proper recognition of how Linux is being used in industry.
>
>  Future events is one of the topics I want to bring up at the meeting
> thursday,
>
>  Paul

Interesting!  My wife (who uses Linux for much of her computing) has recently
finished her Honours Degree with the OU. She found that much of her studies
forced her to use Windows. A couple of the courses she did allowed her to
work using Linux, but most were Windows specific in their software needs. A
little frustrating for her - basically she ended up using Windows for the
whole thing to keep her OU work together in one place.
I am sure she would wish to raise a few points or comment if it would be of
use.

Mark