Re: [LUG] OT: Switching to Eclipse

Simon Williams wrote:

>Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>

>>On 19/01/07, Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello.
>>>
>>>I'm switching to eclipse within the next couple of days, since Tiscali
>>>are refusing to give me a static IP. So, any existing Eclipse users want
>>>30 quid from their recommend a friend deal?
>>>
>>>That is, unless anyone has any good reasons not to change to eclipse.
>>>

>>I'm afraid I can't contribute on the eclipse front but I wondered,
>>while the topic was raised again, what do people use their static ips
>>for? Other than web hosting?
>>

>Any DNS or mail services. Especially mail. My server can't be an MX
>server if it has a dynamic IP. A lot of people also automatically block
>dynamic IP ranges from sending mail.

You can use dynamic dns services, such as http://www.dyndns.com/ which
gives you a dns entry that maps to your current dynamic IP address, but
this sort of service is limited, I did at one point have a mail group
server / website working of this (more for test purposes than anything).
If I had had the time I dare say I could have set up some sort of ssh
connection as well.

You have to run a client process that reports back to dyndns what your
current IP is, so if you have issue with that dont use it. Its not
great, but is free (as in beer).

Tom.