Re: [LUG] Radio 4 discusses open source !!

Neil Winchurst wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:04:51 +0000
>Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/inbusiness/inbusiness.shtml
>>
>>Get it while its there
>>Tom te tom te tom
>>

>>--
>>

>I listened to it all, thanks for bringing it to my attention. My main
>impression was that the interviewer had only one thought all the time,
>namely 'How do you make a profit with free software'? His one problem
>all the time was about making money. Sad.
>
>His thinking is still very 20th century, and as some of the
>interviewees said, that has changed.
>
>It was also interesting the hear that this country, again, is being held
>back by the attitude of management. Plus ça change....
>
>Neil Winchurst

To be fair .....

The interviewer was a business journalist not a technical journalist,
and the program is about business not the technical aspects of open
source / free software. "Whats the bottom line" is a perfectly valid
question in the context of the programme. What he was trying to expose
was (some of) the many ways in which the concept of giving away software
can be profitable, since the idea of "giving it away" and "making
profit" are fairly alien to business people unless you use the term
"loss leader", I found it funny that this well known term wasnt
mentioned once in the whole program.

I think it is great to see programmes like this from the BBC. Not
necessarily because the content was great, but because its orientation
IS NOT purely technical. It shows a willingness to look at the subject
of free software outside a sometimes very narrow technical focus.

Rightly or wrongly investors are more interested in "business models"
and profitability not in technical superiority or adhearence to common
standards for interoperablility. Thats why Microsoft wins. The tide is
beginning to turn but we need more business community members to be
talking about "business models" for free software.

Its sad (but not suprising) to see that here in the UK at the managerial
level we still lag behind in the uptake.

I am old enough to remember the Panarama program in the early 80's about
silicon chips that turned the heads of a few key ministers  in the UK
parliament at that time. I don't think this programme has the same
profile but its a start.

Tom.