Re: [LUG] Kernel 2.6 and module parameters

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Keith Abraham wrote:
>> After a litle work I've managed to get my tv card working in my Debian
>> system using
>>
>> modprobe saa1734 card=63 tuner=38
>>
>> Unfortunately I can't make this a permanent solution.
>>

> You need to set this kind of stuff up in the /etc/modprobe.d folder.
> There should be a bunch of stuff already there and also check the
> modprobe.d manpage.
>
> You can set all module parameters in there as well as run custom  stuff
> before or after modules and ensure modules load in the correct order.
>
> The file /etc/modules also controls any modules that will be loaded for
> you. Eg if you want to force load a module then put its name in there
> and set its parameter stuff up in /etc/modprobe.d/
>

> Hope this helps

what TV card is it? I suggest you try loading a live disk like knoppix,
or maybe
mandriva one, which will probably detect the card automaticaly. Then you
can do an lsmod and see which modules are needed and add them to the
debian start up scripts. Or if they won't load recompile your debian
kernel to include them. Or just maybe use a distro that is better on
detecting and installing TV cards. Mine is somewhat obscure, but
k/ubuntu  suse, mephis and knoppix all detected it.

Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk