Re: [LUG] building myself a PVR

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> So has anybody else built themselves one?

I've got MythTV running on a PC at home, although I never got around to
buildin it into an under the TV box.  Simon was talking about doing this a
while ago too - http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2006/08/msg00084.html

> Also what kind of money do you think I'd need to spend to assemble a
> cheap system - given you can buy a new desktop system for about 300
> quid, about the price of high-end PVR's you would still need to get
> two decent linux-friendly Digital TV cards.

I think I was looking at around the 300 mark, but it was more when I was
looking at using mobile processors (cooler therefore less fans and noise)
etc.

The cards I've been using are Terratec Cinergy 1400s, which have worked
admirably with Linux (but I've not tried the remote control stuff yet).

MythTV can be a bit of a fiddle but once it's running I've been very hapy
with it.

Alex.