Re: [LUG] File Server

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:35:18 +0000
"Richard Brown" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Consider a second-hand box - use dcglug.org.uk as an example if the
> > customer is worried. Hosting the box costs a LOT more than the box
> > itself. Who will be hosting this server? Who pays the bill? Do you
> > really need a real server of your own? Has the customer considered
> > shared hosting, virtual servers and other existing online arrangements?
> > All manner of hosting can be arranged online, from simple webhosts to
> > hosting your own box in their racks. Try positive-internet, RackSpace
> > and any number of others.

> Ok - thanks Neil - I'll dump the web server idea. I have my own hosted
> server but the client was thinking he could save costs! I'll talk him
> out of it.

Hosting is your biggest single cost. If you don't need the server to be
visible from the internet, it reduces the costs dramatically.

> > I doubt you'll find anyone seriously considering any distribution other
> > than Debian for servers. The only question is whether to use stable or
> > testing and this close to the Etch release, it doesn't matter that
> > much. There are pre-release images available for Etch and by the time
> > you actually install this server, Etch may finally have been released
> > anyway.

> Ok - Debian it is. Thanks.

See Alex's reply - I was being all sweeping and over-generalising in
that paragraph. :-)

> > What Simon and I did was connect the server to a simple CRT monitor for
> > the time required for the installation, then configure via ssh until it
> > was ready to have the internet connection connected - a separate box
> > does the firewalling.
> >
> > You should do something similar: divide the tasks so that this server
> > does not have to do the firewall itself.

> Ok - does the above mean a huge learning curve or something I can get
> going on please?

It all depends on whether this box is now going to be a web server or
not. If the box is not going to be visible from the internet (i.e. it's
not running an internet site or other internet services like FTP or
SSH) then the firewall box becomes unnecessary. You simply need to
protect the LAN itself just as you would normally, with some kind of
"burn-everything" firewall on your ADSL router - just as you would at
home. That provides internet access (i.e. browsing) without internet
services (i.e. hosting).

Hosting is a complex area and firewalls / DNS for an internet visible
machine can be a steep learning curve. You really ought to understand
firewalls, DNS and other related topics before trying to configure an
internet visible machine - otherwise you risk making basic errors that
will get the box compromised. As often said, security is a process and
that process requires ongoing maintenance.

> > Sounds like a trivial workload for any server even remotely recent.
> > £2,500 sounds like complete overkill for such trivial amounts of work.
> > When you say 'support' - do you mean thin-client type support? That's
> > more intensive because of the amount of data being moved around the
> > LAN. Ordinary sharing of home directories, a printer or two and a web
> > proxy does no, IMHO, require a £2,500 server. £500 - £1,000 maybe.

> What spec then? Obviously not a Xeon chip at this price!

Need more info on what kind of workload is involved but basic file
sharing, email etc. should not require more than an average PentiumII
with lots of RAM, IMHO. Never skimp on the RAM to squeeze a faster
processor into the budget. Such machines are often 'lying around'
various Windows-based offices because they are "too slow" to run recent
versions of Windows, but you're not running Windows on them, you're not
even going to be running a GUI, so these are ideal. Such machines can
be available free if you ask nicely - it saves them gathering dust in
the sysadmin's office. Add lots of RAM, add lots of disc space, plug in
the network cable, install Debian or Slackware or RHEL whatever - job
done.

This machine isn't going to be running all the X stuff, it'll be idle
most of the time. You just need it to move data around, not do complex
graphics calculations. There isn't much "processing" involved in common
server tasks unless you are rendering animations etc. It's more about
data-throughput rates which generally means keeping as much data as you
can in a cache in RAM so that you read from disc less often.

Why do you think you need a Xeon chip? Just what is this machine going
to be required to do that is so computation-intensive? A file server is
principally about I/O - the devices are the bottleneck, not the
processor.

Don't listen to the marketing hype, decide what you actually need and
disregard any assumptions based on Windows because you won't be running
a GUI on this box. A complete GNU/Linux install will only be a few
gigabyte - a fraction of the amount of code required for Windows.

Less code = less work and less bugs.

> > If you have a rack and a room to put it, look into getting a rack
> > server. It's easier to use a rack server in a rack than to use a
> > desktop tower in a rack.
> >
> We don't have a rack - would it be better to get a tower or a rack
> considering the need for:
> File server
> Firewall - do we need this with just a file server

No. You only need a firewall box is you are providing internet
services, otherwise use the firewall that comes with the router for
your normal internet connection.

> UPS
> Switch
> Backup device

If you want to use a rack, you will need a server room to cope with the
noise. Besides, a rack with just a file server in it is going to look
quite bare. (i.e. waste of money).

Don't even consider putting a rack in a "normal room" where other
people would have to work.

It's sounding more and more like all you actually need is a cheap
(quiet) desktop box / tower with more RAM and lots of storage. You
could end up doing this for £500 instead of £2,500!

> I was considering something like this:
> <http://www.nasdatastorage.co.uk/productsinfrantreadynasnv.htm>

Do you really need that much storage? Do you need all the hot-swapping
support? I know it looks cool but it sounds like you (and the customer)
need to talk to someone like Alex, Neil S. or Simon and work out what
hardware is actually necessary and what is just overkill. The more you
buy, the more there is to go wrong.

> What do you think? Or even maybe a Mac Mini or tower. I know Mac
> systems much better.

Then stick with a mac platform - although a new mac box is closer to a
intel box nowadays and there are a LOT more "redundant" x86 boxes out
there than mac.

Why buy new when you can recycle a couple of machines that other people
have foolishly classified as "useless" just because the box cannot
install the latest bloatware from Microsoft?

Microsoft are always pushing for higher and higher hardware
requirements - Vista is a case in point - but the whole point of free
software is that you can optimise it to run on any hardware. Removing
(or simply not installing) stuff you don't use suddenly makes it easy
to use hardware that others have discarded. Don't fall into the
Microsoft/Intel hardware-update cycle - it's a very expensive trap.

--

Neil Williams