Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux (2)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 20:38:00 0000, Ray Smith <rayjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I must be the odd one out as I learnt shell programming on cpm and dos back in the
> dark ages so picked up shell scripting with bash relatively easily.
> I'm certainl no expert with Gnu/Linux but am comfortable in the main with it.
> I find man pages to be very usefull and make sure that all man,info and html help
> files are installed for any distro I use.
> Todat I got my scanner working with the gt68xx driver only after reading the man
> page which told me what the likely file name would be (quick google search) and
> also where so place it so that sane could use it.
> Same with setting up my palm, any model, serial or usb and with almost anything
> man xxxx, info xxxx is invaluable.
> Even rpm which seems to be hated by the majority I learned how to get aound most
> problems with man pages.
>
> Ray.

Correction - majority who post about it - personally much prefer it,
probably why I use Fedora

(pet peeve about apt - if you force a package the whole database is
screwed when that package doesn't affect anything else, which is a
major difference to yum/rpm)

Also been using RH/Fedora since 1999 and yet to need to know bash
programming to any degree - anything more complex than a pipe is
easier in perl

Hardware is a bit of lottery now unfortunately, though if its
supported it works more easily than in windows (esp in Gnome!)