Re: [LUG] OT: openDNS

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> I think this is slightly off topic but I thought people might find it
> interesting...
>
> I've just tried openDNS and am finding it to be much much faster than
> the other DNS I was using - whatever that was - plus the added phising
> protection and automatic spelling correction I think it's definately
> worth taking a look at :-D

It is a DNS for surfing - which attempts to block phishing sites.

The performance of DNS is largely down to load on the recursive servers,
so either your ISP was under investing, or no one is using OpenDNS.

Problem with OpenDNS is that it is abusing the technology, so whilst it
is probably usable for people who surf, you wouldn't want to use it for
anything more important (like email).

If your DNS service is slow, for most people around here the simplest
expedient is to run their own recursive server.

Since the DNS design is based around the assumption everyone sees the
same thing, using services that break that assumption (for whatever
reason) are likely to have unforeseen consequences. Use at your own
risk. Here be dragons etc.