Re: [LUG] Birmingham City Council reported abandoned LINUX

On Saturday 23 December 2006 17:31, David Brook wrote:
> Don't know if this has been discussed before,   or the truth of it,   but a
> friend working in a Cornwall District Council IT dept has informed me that
> one of the computer rags has reported that Birmingham City Council have
> abandoned a move to LINUX as the perception was that "The Overall Costs Of
> Migration were too high!!"
>
> Anyone else heard this - or know any more??

Yep, it's FUD.

See:
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=7459&pagtype=samechan

"With Birmingham's trial period over and with lessons learnt and understanding
gained, the Council now expects to make cost savings over time, and contrary
to press reports which claimed Birmingham had scrapped the Linux initiative,
it will in fact "significantly increase" its use of open-source software,
Evans said. The trial also had other positive results, he claimed, such as
demonstrating the ease with which Firefox and OpenOffice.org can be
substituted for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office."

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson