Re: [LUG] Warranties are for mugs

Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>
>> Free software (and most open source) comes with absolutely no warranty,
>> not even fitness for purpose.
>>

> I suspect if you buy free software in the UK, it comes with a fitness
> for purpose guarantee from the seller, since the sale of goods act
> requires that goods must be fit for purpose.
Actually, no.  I've just finished a module called Legislation in the
Computing Industry in university, and this covered software warranties
and agreements.

Software is covered by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, as
software is deemed a service, not a tangible good.

However in the case of St Albans v ICL, the judge commented that the
media on which the software was supplied *could* conceivably be
considered under the Sale of Goods Act -
http://www.ipit-update.com/ictcon03.htm

That doesn't help of course if you download the software, for example.
As far as software is concerned there is a minefield of options for
warranty, shrink-wrap, click-wrap, etc.  The question in my mind arises
'what if the primary language of the license (in the case of shrink-wrap
the one visible on the front) is not that of the purchaser.  Can they
still be bound by terms and conditions they are unable to understand?  I
suppose one argument is that if you don't understand the
license/warranty, you shouldn't buy the item.  It's a point that could
be argued though IMHO.

Also for a contract to exist, one of the conditions is Consideration, in
monetary terms.  Obviously there is no problem with Open Source software
that has been paid for, but I'm not sure how free as in 'no payment'
software fares with this condition.

Kind regards,

Julian