Re: [LUG] Orifice and the FUD factory

Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> There simply isn't time to send company data to and from a central
>> server with a national company when each of 800 branches is making
>> 3,000 transactions a day. Broadband simply cannot cope.
>
> The corollary being the Google search engine can't possibly exist ;)
>
> Bah 10 transactions a second (assuming an 8 hour day)

Or even 100, but I had customers in my previous jobs who did that sort
of thing on glorified PCs running SCO a decade ago. They were already
migrating from the big iron vendors like HP, IBM, and SUN for such
undemanding needs.

Most of the big retailers had centralised data stores, and would stick
say all credit card transactions to a central server. They would have a
hot spare, as they wouldn't want downtime, for obvious reasons. Even
then the PCs would sit with minimal load until the January sales ;-)

Okay credit card transactions are generally pretty small in terms of
data capture. But we all too easily forget just how much oomph modern
computers have.