Re: [LUG] Orifice and the FUD factory

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:59:09 +0000
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > There simply isn't time to send company data to and from a central
> > server with a national company when each of 800 branches is making
> > 3,000 transactions a day. Broadband simply cannot cope.
> 3000 transactions a day and broadband cant cope?- you seem to have

No, 3,000 x 800 =  2,400,000

AFAICT none of the branches are on anything more than 512kb broadband.
But that's a side issue - the transactions cannot be done in a
distributed method, there just sufficient speed. That's why the NHS
central spine is taking so long. These are not trivial problems that we
can hope to resolve on this list.

> You say you receive PDF documents and have to convert then by hand?

I receive PDF and have to read them to enter data by hand.

I create my own data (that needs to correspond to the PDF but not be
created from it) using the Palm, pilot-qof and XML/XSL.

> Well store the PDF for your records.

I do - untouched.

> Try using one of the many
> pdf2txt (choose format here) that are around to extract the data you
> need  and use that for processing.

It will require a lot more than that but I am working on it via the
cashutil project.

> If its in an auditable form then
> it should be a piece of cake.

It won't be in auditable form after conversion.

>You can then, if you must generate pdf

I don't generate PDF, I receive PDF. In the absence of any standard
format, PDF is all I can use.

> It doesn't even need to be stored as a PDF - you just have to be able
> to generate the same document on demand.

Not true - I need to store the original, untouched.

Trust me, there is no off-pat solution here. I've been working on a
method for over two years.

Parsing the PDF doesn't get me any closer to the necessary data entry,
yet.

--

Neil Williams