Re: [LUG] Shaking hands with the devil?

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 18:06 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >
> > Maybe I'll even add a review to the wiki!!
>
> Please do, I saw some good stuff on SuSE at LUG Radio live from the
> Novell Open Audio guys (who were also very entertaining), and heard some
> good things from people unrelated to Novell.

After that kind of response I will do! Only problem is I can't get
logged in to the wiki...any chance someone can help me out? I've made
sure I'm entering username and password correctly, even copying and
pasting. Also put in for a password reminder, it came through and that
still didn't work...

> I've been tracking the various Novell blogs, and podcasts, for a while
> following what they do.
>
> They also explicitly mentioned that the non-free video drivers aren't
> shipped, but just a few clicks will get the system to download and
> install them for you. Hopefully that is a compromise people around here
> can agree to live with, even if some of us would prefer you not make
> those few clicks. As such I think SuSE do really get the free software
> thing.

Yeah...I haven't tried installing the non-free video drivers but I've
had a look around their wiki and it seems well documented and judging
from the rest of the experience I don't think it will be too hard.

> The new eye candy (Compiz) was the driving force behind the interest in
> the non-free 3D drivers, although now the Intel graphics cards will do
> accelerated 3D with free software drivers sufficient for Compiz.

Just wish I had an intel graphics chip!

> That Mark Shuttleworth's email wouldn't have caused such a reaction, if
> there wasn't a genuine rift in the Novell/SuSE camp, and I suspect the
> dividing line may still be found somewhere near that "/" still.

Can you explain this paragraph?! I'm not sure I got it totally but I
think it sounded interesting!

Jon