Re: [LUG] Shaking hands with the devil?

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> Maybe I'll even add a review to the wiki!!

Please do, I saw some good stuff on SuSE at LUG Radio live from the
Novell Open Audio guys (who were also very entertaining), and heard some
good things from people unrelated to Novell.

I've been tracking the various Novell blogs, and podcasts, for a while
following what they do.

They also explicitly mentioned that the non-free video drivers aren't
shipped, but just a few clicks will get the system to download and
install them for you. Hopefully that is a compromise people around here
can agree to live with, even if some of us would prefer you not make
those few clicks. As such I think SuSE do really get the free software
thing.

The new eye candy (Compiz) was the driving force behind the interest in
the non-free 3D drivers, although now the Intel graphics cards will do
accelerated 3D with free software drivers sufficient for Compiz.

That Mark Shuttleworth's email wouldn't have caused such a reaction, if
there wasn't a genuine rift in the Novell/SuSE camp, and I suspect the
dividing line may still be found somewhere near that "/" still.