[LUG] GNU/Linux growing pains and the long road ahead was:Ubuntu and freedom?

As a long(ish) time user of various distros of GNU/Linux and someone who
likes to advocate and discuss endlessly (to the point of obsession) the
merits of free software I have mixed freeling (yes its a deliberate
typo) about some of the comments made recently about freedom vs comfort.

On the one side I have great empathy with Neil's argument ... when we
dilute free software with proprietary software, even at a very low level
(some might say especially at the low level) we run into dangers, some
of which have been better describe by Neil both recently and in the
past, and many more that would just take a whole lifetime to enumerate
and diliberate.

On the other hand, I don't want GNU/Linux to be dismissed (as it is in
my "non-technical" circles) as just a "geek" thing, because we all agree
that free software can bring many riches (not necessary in the literal
sense) to peoples lives. Since most people want an "easy life" its
tempting to slip into using proprietary fixes on an otherwise free platform.

For the most part, when considering software applications, there is for
the most part a good choice of both free and proprietary applications,
so in essence there is little need to use proprietary software UNLESS it
supports a "must have" feature (and this is purely the choice of the
individual user) that is not supported in free software. Even so it is
preferable that the user seeks assistance from the developer community
through honest dialog, to get the "must have" feature put on the wish
list for future revisions of the free software alternative.

Proprietary hardware drivers are even more of a challenge for free
software developers. This is mostly down to the fact that hardware
drivers obscure the truth in ways that are not visable to the user. One
distro may work with hardware while another does not ..... is this
because of the inclusion of a free driver the other distro does not have
? Or is it because its included a non-free driver ? Or is it a
configuration issue ? Or is it a free driver that has proprietary
firmware ? Is that firmware their to restrict the freedoms of users or
is it there for a good reason (eg FCC regulations on appropriate
frequency / signal strengths for WIFI devices)  etc .... etc ......

And so while it is fairly transparent to the end user when they are
using Word as opposed to Open Office (for example) it is not so
transparent when he/she is using their favourite USB gizmo whether or
not they are using a totally free driver.

If we follow "Neil's" path (appologies to Neil if he thinks I am picking
on him, its not intentional), and only foster thoes users who are
prepared to use 100% free software and understand the freedom issues
inside out, then quite frankly (and remember I have gone on record to
say that I have great empathy with Neil's views) I would NOT be a
GNU/Linux user today.

The GNU/Linux user community can not grow from a "puritain" user base
alone, IMO the growth would be too slow and too painful. On the other
hand a rapid acceleration of users using GNU/Linux "mixed" with
proprietary solutions, may not understand that some of the software they
are using is at odds with the FSF movement and its aims and purpose. And
worse still foster a belief in the proprietary hardware vendor camps
that they can "get away with it"

So my agenda ?

I want people to be comfortable with using free software. Ideally I
would like them to be comfortable with a totally free platform, but I
don't want to hold them back simply because they should not be using
proprietary software.

BUT (and its a big one)

I want to ensure that when people do use proprietary software in
conjunction with free software platforms, that they are aware of the
issues and consequences of such use, and that they should be seeking /
demanding a free and transparent alternative from the suppliers of such
items. And commiting themselves as much as humanly possible to the
process of migrating to a free alternative as the first opportunity
available.

I think this is the way to minimise the growing pains and shorten the
long road ahead without compromising the values, aims and purposes of
the FSF.

Tom.