Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and freedom?

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:22:51 +0000
Jonathan Roberts <jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For anyone interested in my other question about why fedora is not
> listed as a free distro on the gnu.org website there is a post on the
> fedora wiki with an e-mail from Richard Stallman explaining.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FreeSoftwareAnalysis/FSF
>
> Apparently the problem is mostly with binary firmware being included
> i.e. no source is available for it.

In that case, ignore my theory on trademarked icons - presumably that
isn't the reason for the exclusion, although trademarks are still
awkward.

It also explains why Debian is not listed - this firmware is still being
removed and Etch is likely to be released with some remaining:

http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_007

Maybe when Lenny is released . .
(the binocular character from Toy Story.)

 --

Neil Williams