[LUG] Japanese input

Does anyone know of a simple way of getting Japanese input to work in X?
I've tried various X plugins such as kinput2, kanna, scim, skim and
anthy, but it seems that they are all somewhat complicated. I really
don't need to input japanese into a terminal, so it just needs to work
with X apps, all of which I know can work with japanese fonts.

What I really want is the KDE keyboard layout switching tool to work
with japanese. It seems that the japanese option rearranges all my keys
so that I have a japanese keyboard. Since I don't, I'm missing the
special key to switch between latin and japanese input, and so am stuck
in latin. I'm looking for something where I can type e.g. 'ka' in latin
characters and get the japanese character for ka. I would also like to
be able to type in dvorak.

At present, I don't even mind if I have to copy and paste from a
converter application.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks
Simon