Re: [LUG] Portable wireless ethernet adaptor?

Tom Potts wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a portable wireless <-> ethernet
> adaptor  - battery powered if poss?

> The idea being I can configure it and then plug in my laptop or one of my old
> pcs?

We used some for the zywave project at work. I might even persuade the
boss to sell one if there is one spare around (802.11b only).

Gemtek did a USB powered dongle, it bridged wireless to wired, and had a
little webserver built in. Well designed beasties, with traffic light
coloured lights (makes for easy 3rd party troubleshooting ("what
coloured lights are on?", assuming they don't have Daltonism, but then
those with Daltonism are brighter on average I believe).

This looks like its closest successor in the technology stakes.

http://www.gemtek.com.tw/pro_wl295.htm

But not sure how it will work better than a wireless card, apart from
about 18 inches of cable and a diddy antenna. Guess if you had a longer
USB and ethernet cable than the one supplied one could stick it further
away from the machine.