[LUG] Portable wireless ethernet adaptor?

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a portable wireless <-> ethernet
adaptor  - battery powered if poss?
The idea being I can configure it and then plug in my laptop or one of my old
pcs?
My laptop has wireless but by the time the signal gets passed my beer gut when
I'm slumped in my beenbag its worthless. Or I can plug it into a webcam in
the chicken shed and chase rats late at night....
Tom te tom te tom