Re: [LUG] vpopmail really slow

jody salt wrote:

>   For some unknown reason my vpopmail (pop) server is behaving really slow!
> However my qmail (smtp) server is still fast.
>
>   Normally my mail program checks the my pop account at blistering speed.
>
>   I tried telneting to the port and it is indeed slow! If you try telneting to my
> pop port you'll see what I mean i.e.
>
>   telnet mail.newrust.com 110
>
>   Notice how it takes a while to get the "+OK" response

Could be lots of things.  Depends how you're executing the pop daemon
and perhaps which one you're using.

It doesn't appear to be doing an ident lookup, so is it perhaps checking
reverse DNS, but failing with a timeout?  Perhaps it *is* doing an ident
check and that's blocked somewhere?  Are there any errors logged in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/maillog (or anywhere else you might
happen to be logging mail stuff to)?

strace is often your friend with this sort of problem.

James