Re: [LUG] phpmyadmin

Richard Brown wrote:

> How do I set root password please so I don't get it? I am using
> phpmyadmin to set the password - but I don't know how!

No idea how to do it via phpmyadmin -- the Debian README entry is copied
below.

Do note that Debian, and presumably other derived distros, create a
Debian system maintenance user for system tasks, in addition to the
phpmyadmin user. So the "MySQL" root user is purely for the
administrator to do stuff.

Setting this is part of the recommended MySQL install steps, so we slap
your wrist for not having read the manual then ;)

--- README Extract follows ---

* PASSWORDS:
It is strongly recommended to set a password for the mysql root user (which
is NOT the same as the "normal" root user) with the command:
 /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'enter-your-good-new-password-here'