Re: [LUG] ict register

On Saturday 18 November 2006 09:09, paul sutton wrote:
> I have heard of this, but it applies to a MS license for some other
> countries where Linux is gaining populatrity.  Surely MS must be losing
> money on thse deals which to me is a good thing,
No they don't loose money at all!  1 cd set  fills all machines - and  support
Hah!  They give the councils the impression they're getting good value for
money and they prevent the councils actually learning about alternatives, and
of course they have x thousand school kids all indoctrinated by the time
they're 10! And all the employees ( if they manage to get training) all want
the same thing at home. So basically microsoft sell 1 other copy for each one
they 'give away'.
I used to work for a council and the IT manager almost couldn't switch on a pc
without help. Mention free software and you'd get re-training costs to
balance against the almost free software. MS may be rubbish at making
operating systems but stupid financially/market position. Alas no.
It would be hard to get the government to say its illegal for a company to
underprice its software when the initial cost to them would be high.
So its back to advocacy I'm afraid. A long haul but we will win!
Tom te tom te tom