Re: [LUG] Problems with my digital camera

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Yes, I have one USB socket at the front which is the obvious one to use
> because it is so easy to reach. The others are at the back and I have
> not tried using them. Thanks for the suggestion I will have a go. I did
> not know about extension cables, I will ask at my local computer shop.
>
> If this turns out to be the problem it will be very annoying. Surely it
> is obvious that the from USB port is the one that everyone will use.
> That means it is the one above all that should be set up properly.
>
> Anyway I will let you all know if that solves the problem
>
> Thanks
> Neil Winchurst
The other issue with USB is the power consumption of the device.
Probably not an issue in this case as you're only using USB for data not
power, however not all USB sockets are implemented the same way.  The
specification says that USB should be 500mA.  Some motherboard
manufacturers take this to mean 500mA across the USB bus no matter how
many sockets there are, hence four sockets gets 500mA/4 = 125mA each -
not what the doctor ordered.  Mark has a good point about the front USBs
also although that can be down to the case/motherboard combination.  If
the front USBs are from a proper header on the motherboard then there is
only the case to worry about.

Anyway it looks like you have a couple of options now with the offer of
a reader to try and the extension cable.  It might be an idea to try
both.  If the reader won't work in the front port either then you *know*
it's the port and there would be no point getting your own reader to use
(other than the benefits I mentioned earlier).  If it works in the front
port, then it probably just doesn't like your camera.

So three options (my maths skill is famous - I just thought of one :):

USB extension cable
Card reader
USB hub (internal or external)

An internal would give you up to 4 USBs on the front of the case, and
will be better engineered than the current port you are using.  It would
mean opening the box and tinkering though - depends how brave/technical
you feel.  An external would just take up one back USB port and sit on
top of the case, ready for you to plug in whatever device you need to.
Bear in mind that if it's the way the camera communicates that is the
problem, no cable or hub is going to make any difference.  In that case
you'd be left with sticking as you are, or buying a card reader.

Alternatively you could just stick with the (albeit irritating) routine
you already know works.

Kind regards,

Julian