Re: [LUG] xmove

Samuel Toogood wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to say hi, as this is my first 'proper' post to
> the list. I've been lurking for a while (since moving to Exeter in
> August), and there seem to be some pretty knowledgeable people here, so
> I thought I'd ask a question which occurred to me.

Hi, I'm afraid I'm not one of those knowledgable people and don't have
any suggestions as to what you can try to fix your problem -just thought
I'd say hi!

> My setup is this: I have two machines running Ubuntu Edgy, 1 laptop and
> 1 desktop. The laptop is really quite old and feeble, and so I use it
> mostly as an X terminal, with a ssh tunnel to the desktop. What I would
> like to be able to do is shift programs from one X display to the other
> (i.e localhost:0.0 to localhost:10.0 and back, from the point of view of
> the desktop). I've done some research, and discovered xmove[1], which
> more or less should do what I want, but it seems to hang whenever I try
> to move any clients.
>
> So, does anyone on the list have any experience with xmove, to help me
> diagnose the problem, or alternatively, does anyone have any other
> suggestions on how to achieve this?

Although, saying that, have you considered XDMCP? I'm not totally sure
it does what you want but I believe it's similar.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Jon