Re: [LUG] silicon.com - Why The Linux Desktop Dream Is Over

Viv and Philip wrote:
> Just a small point that they have not considered. More and more people
> (including myself) are starting to work remotely some or all of the
> time. This trend is likely to grow and in this scenario, eventually the
> home desktop becomes one and the same as your work one.
>
> Where I work, all users work on ts servers whether in the office or not.
> Most of them log on via TS Compaq Evo thin client boxes but, could just
> as easily be using a linux based terminal. Citrix do a Linux client as
> well.
>
> I use the Ubunutu TS client and it works fine.
>
> It is a huge change for a company to change their servers but, what is
> used on the "desktop" will increasingly become irrelevant.
>
> Out of interest, does anyone know if there are any Linux based TS thin
> client boxes ?

I believe Wyse make such a beastie.

A place I used to work at used to have a load of these thin clients.
They were buying them for £400 a pop.  For that they could have got a
Linux based Mini ITX box WITH monitor.  All these thin clients were
running was Office and Internet Explorer on about 10 really unreliable
Windows 2003 Terminal Servers in a cluster.  I remember when one went
down the whole lot did.  Happened at least once a week.

On the other hand, my LTSP box in the loft just runs and runs.  Never
had any problems with it and it came in handy when the hard drive died
on my fiancées desktop and she needed to use it urgently.

I remember Larry Ellison a few years back (almost 10 years ago I think)
saying that Network Computers (i.e. thin clients) would be the future.
You know, he might have been on to something there.  Just think, an ISP
could provide a thin client running something like FreeNX connecting to
a Linux server over a broadband connection.  Storage could be provided
with a flash card reader or USB pen drive.  Something like that for £15
a month or so would surely be of interest to those folk who could afford
a broadband connection but didn't have a computer?

Rob

Rob