[LUG] Why maildir was Re: Impressive AMD 64 Etch install

Benjamin A'Lee wrote:

>> 2. Debian reference says it is essential to put mail in Maildir -- otherwise
>>    Courier won't work. Exim4 config says Debian usually likes mbox format.
>>    What is the point of Maildir, if any?
>
> Maildir is faster under certain circumstances; mbox stores a whole mail folder
> in one file, so has to read in the entire file to read or write to it. Maildir
> doesn't, but if you're searching a lot it's slower, since it needs to open
> every file individually. Or something along those lines.

mbox is obsolete ;)

Seriously, the problem with mbox is that by putting all the email in one
file, you readily end up with files that at 300MB in size, and easily
corrupted. To do anything with such a file (except append a new email,
or delete the lot) is a massive resource commitment on the part of the
mail server.

Whilst there are some operations that maildir makes more expensive, I
think most people would be hard pressed to demonstrate that mbox is
better for them, especially after the first time their email program
screws up and trashes an entire folder instead of one email.

A common operation, moving email from inbox to folder is literally a
rename for most maildir implementations, or at most copying one small
file with maildir. The same operation with mbox depends on how much
email you got delivered (and in the destination folder - sent folder
anyone?), and the day you get 500MB delivered, you suddenly realise why
maildir is so much cleaner.

I think similar comments apply to the worlds most "popular" (frequently
used?) email client, which joyfully puts all of the email in one big
database file (rather than just each folder), and will joyfully corrupt
it, and destroy every change since the last backup. And needs a special
backup to make sure the database is closed and quiescent..... yuk.

I still have some mbox folders around, I had to break the sent folder
into separate years, because opening it was too painful.

 Simon