Re: [LUG] Impressive AMD 64 Etch install

On Nov 12, 2006, David Bell was like:

> Very impressed with the simplified, fast [etch AMD64] install

I agree with that. I had a little trouble with CUPS, probably my
ignorance; when I told CUPS the name of the printer and let it find
the driver then the test page printed ok.

I should be grateful if someone could answer a few questions about
etch (I've been in the Red Hat camp for so long I am not familiar with
the Debian style).

1. After the install I have two kernels, 2.6.16-2-amd64 and
   2.6.16-2-amd64-generic, also there is a module 'generic'.  What are
   these doing and is it ok to delete the generic kernel?

2. Debian reference says it is essential to put mail in Maildir -- otherwise
   Courier won't work. Exim4 config says Debian usually likes mbox format.
   What is the point of Maildir, if any?

3. why does my home dir have a directory src owned by root?

4. in dmesg I get strange messages like

    Scanning NUMA topology in Northbridge 24
    Number of nodes 1

    Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information
    Allocating PCI resources starting at 30000000 (gap: 20000000:c0000000)

    Checking aperture...
    CPU 0: aperture @ 9fa4000000 size 32 MB
    Aperture from northbridge cpu 0 too small (32 MB)

   Why is it rude about my aperture? How can I make it bigger? The mobo
   is a NF4ST-A9 with nForce4 CK8-04 northbridge; is that inadequate?

Tony Sumner