Re: [LUG] Impressive AMD 64 Etch install

David Bell wrote:
> Yesterday I decided to replace Kubuntu 64 with the weekly Etch AMD 64 snapshot
> web install.  Very impressed with the simplified, fast install, only 3 or 4
> basic questions and that was it, apart from partitioning.  Having retained
> the original Kubuntu partitions, formatting all but /home, it was a
> disappointment to find that the default desktop is Gnome.  However, the
> resultant KDE desktop and applications, once downloaded using Synaptic,
> displayed perfectly using my original Kubuntu settings.   Perhaps one is
> given the choice of Gnome v KDE if the <expert> install is selected.
>
> Etch boots up and closes down smoothly and speedily and as a user in simple
> desktop mode, I can but only congratulate the Debian team for the excellent
> job they have made of Etch so far.  Sound, graphics and CUPS worked out of
> the box - unlike Sarge.
>
> If you can install K/Ubuntu - you can install Etch :)

I have to agree that installing Etch is a very easy process. I recently
changed from Suse to Debian, firstly installing Sarge on my production
pc then experimenting with Etch on another. After comparing the two I
changed to Etch on my production pc and have been delighted with the
ease of installation, software choices and easy configuration. I have
even installed piecemeal rather than use the desktop install task.

My only regret is that I did not give Debian a try earlier in my Linux
lifetime, still Suse fitted my needs at the time and held my hand when I
needed it in the early days.

Robert