Re: [LUG] Java Runtime Environment

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:21:15 +0000
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> will fix the database.
> It is something worth keeping a note of - it often gets things running again
> when adept (or apt-get etc ) fall over for some reason.
>
> Mark

Thanks for that, and I have made a note of it for future use. I also
know now how to use ps -ef to find the relevant packages and to remove
them first, using kill pid.

The problem was this Sun java package. I tried to install it using
apt-get as you suggested but here is the problem.

It requires you to agree to the Sun terms of use, again as you said.
The trouble is using Adept the terms never appear. I tried clicking on
the Details button and part of the Terms appeared but with no way that
I could see to accept them. So I tried apt-get as you suggested but
again there seemed to be no way to accept the terms so in both
situations the process hangs. Hence my problems.

And to add to my troubles, there are several updates waiting for me. I
tried to run the updater but unfortunately one of the packages that is
waiting for update is this same Sun package. It tried to run as an
update and the machine hung again. I had to go through the 'kill and
configure' rigmarole again.

Unless I can sort this bit out I will not be able to do any updating.
Again I expect it will be simple to deal with it. Is there some way to
remove that program from the update list?

Thanks
Neil Winchurst