Re: [LUG] Java Runtime Environment

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:56:16 +0000
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Simon,
> Did you attempt to install via the GUI program - e.g Adept?
> To install the java stuff you have to agree to the Sun licence. If you attempt
> to install via GUI, the licence agreement is not displayed on screen
> (although I remember that it can be made to appear).
> If it just hangs, then that is the problem. I would note the programs it wants
> to install and then use apt-get install from the command line - then you will
> see the licence agreement.
> A bit lacking in *ubuntu gui installs there I think....
>
> Mark

I have had a look in Adept and found sun-java5-jre which might be what
I need. It includes a note saying that you 'must accept Sun's EULA prior
to successfully installing this package'. However it doesn't say how.

This must be what you mention above. Does this mean that to install
this package I had better use apt-get install instead of Adept? And am
I right in thinking that this is what I need to have java running in my
browsers?

Thanks
Neil Winchurst