Re: [LUG] Java Runtime Environment

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Friday 10 November 2006 09:14, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:26:59 +0000
>>
>> Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Okies,
>>> Went to my Edgy upgraded box - and no java!
>>> The java stuff was installed in /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.08/jre,
>>> so I did the following -
>>>
>> That's interesting, only I don't have any jvm folder anywhere.
>>

>>> cd to the firefox plugin directory (in my case /usr/lib/firefox/plugins)
>>> and issued the following using sudo -
>>>
>>> ln -s
>>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.08/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oj
>>> i.so
>>>
>>> I tested it out after running the command and it all works fine here.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> So obviously I can't use the above commands. Oh well, more research.
>>
>> Neil Winchurst
>>

> It would depend how you installed the java - I installed the java virtual
> machine, probably in a different way to the method you used.
> All you should need to do is to locate your libjavaplugin_oji.so module and
> then symlink it to your Firefox plugins directory in the same way as I
> mentioned.
>
> Mark

there is in the us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  edgy main restricted
universe multiverse something called jre2-mozilla-plugin (or something
close) which claims to be for mozilla/firefox. When selected in adept it
also wants to install the blackdown jre (one can never have too many
jre's - I think this will be 3 or 4) and mozilla-suite.

Does it work? Well dunno as it's hanging at the prepare to install
stage, or maybe just taking its time. Maybe someone else would like to
try it?

I've also found that this repository contains stuff I needed not held by
the ones supplied by default, dvdlibcss, xine-extracodecs.

Simon

--
simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk