Re: [LUG] newer system ?

jon.davey2@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi everyone. I have recently installed Debian 'Woody' and am having some
> dificulties configuring my soundcard (amongst other things) but before I
> start asking questions here regarding this I'd like to see if people think
> I should get a newer distro. Ultimatly I'm aiming, one day, to make a propper
> bespoke system for making music and handling sound only. Do you think Woody
> a good Linux distribution and version to use as foundations to do this from
> or is it irrelivant ?

Woody is quite an old distro, especially given that Debian is much
slower than most in rolling out new versions. I'd recommend staying with
debian but moving up to Etch which is due to go stable next month. I've
been using testing on 3 servers for quite a while and don't have many
problems.

Might plug-n-play your soundcard, I know I've resolved many hardware
issues on modern architecture merely with a newer kernel, and every time
I use a debian installer it's improved.