Re: [LUG] Restricting logon times for normal users

Rob Beard wrote:
> stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> If you are going to change the passwd file you could change the user
>> shell script to powerdown, so when she logs in it shuts the machine
>> down.

I think I've figured part of it out...

I followed the instructions here:
http://tech.canterburyschool.org/tech/UbuntuWorkstations

I figured, my Debian server is acting as a Samba domain controller.  If
I could authenticate users against the domain controller then all I need
to do is enable and disable individual users.

I built another Xubuntu box to try it and it does work!

It doesn't mention on the documentation that you have to enable all the
repositories in sources.list however once I did that and installed the
winbind package it seems to work.

Now when I disable the user jade on my debian box it will stop her
logging in :-)

Just need to work on the shutting down now.  I'm thinking maybe a cron
job to shut the machine down with a 15 minute warning to give her time
to close anything she's running.

Rob