Re: [LUG] Restricting logon times for normal users

On 06/11/06 10:00:31, Rob Beard wrote:

> > An "automatic mother" is easy to set up :-)
> >
> > I guess the first thing is a cron job that logs /out/ user XXX
> (after a
> > few minutes' warning) if she is still logged in at closing time.  I
> > remember setting up such a thing about 1986 (on Berkeley Unix 4.2
> or
> > something like), because I had lots of users who kept forgetting to
> log
> > out when they left the office.  It also ticked off the offending
> user, by
> > e-mail.  (Shutting down the computer wouldn't do as there were
> important
> > overnight jobs on cron.)  The job can be repeated several times
> during the
> > night to catch those who log back in.  In my case it had to allow
> for
> > people genuinely working late, so it only logged out those who had
> been
> > inactive for a while, but I guess you don't want that feature.
> >

> Thats kind of what I was thinking although rather than logout I'd go
> for
> the shutdown option as the PC is noisy and would keep her awake.
> > Once that works, think how to disable logging in after closing
> time.
>
> > I think I need to read up pam ; but being old-fashioned I liked the
> idea
> > of a cron job that swaps passwd files.  Someone will no doubt tell
> me how
> > insecure that is !
> >
> I must admit the multiple passwd files idea seems like an easier one
> implement.  I can't get the pam_time authentication working properly.
>
> It either gives the choice of letting any user login when it's
> disabled
> or no users logging in when it's enabled.
> > Far be it from me to tell other people how to relate to their
> children but
> > a simple message on the screen, repeated every few minutes, might
> in
> the
> > present case be as effective as a brutal log-out and perhaps make
> for a
> > kinder breakfast-time
> I doubt a message on screen would be effective.  She's 12 and likes
>
> get away with as much as possible.  I was reluctant enough to let her
> have a PC considering her recent behavior.  My fiancée seems to think
> it
> might improve her behavior if she has a PC to use.
>
> Anyway, I'll have a play with the passwd files and see if this works.
>
> Rob

If you are going to change the passwd file you could change the user
shell script to powerdown, so when she logs in it shuts the machine
down.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\