Re: [LUG] gNewSense - Ubuntu without the binary blobs

Rob Beard wrote:
> Ben Goodger wrote:
>> On 02/11/06, *Tom Potts* <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061102083226821
>>     tom te tom te tom
>>

>> Remember, the binary blobs are out to get you.
>>
> So these binary blobs are non-free bits of code?  Like modules for
> certain hardware etc?

Binary blobs may also be firmware that is uploaded to external devices.

I think this is becoming less of a problem because the kernel now has a
firmware loader and a well defined place to put firmware so there should
be no need to include binary blobs in a kernel or module. The firmware
can be obtained often from the manufactures install CD.

Its a flaming pain however when you are trying to install a system and
don't have full net access or whatever and you require some firmware for
your network driver for example.

Often this has happened for two reasons, one is to save having non
volatile memory on the external device and two it is easy to upgrade the
firmware.

Anyway this is IMHO a completely different issue to binary kernel
modules, i just though i would point out another type of possible "blob"

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk