Re: [LUG] Network interface configuration

Robert Morrison wrote:

> The part that is troubling me is the network address 169.254.77.79 , the
> broadcast address and the netmask. The interface is or atleast should be
> configured with an internal IP address of: 192.168.0.3 , broadcast
> address: 192.168.0.255 and netmask: 255.255.255.0 so I don't know where
> the external IP address is coming from.
>
> If I de-activate then activate the interface then once more issue the
> ifconfig command I get the correct configuration as below:

Have a look at /etc/network/interfaces

if you want a static ip of 192.168.0.3 then you should have an entry
such as:-

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0

etc...

if you are using dhcp then as Simon said it sounds like something is
starting in the wrong order. (You should still have a interfaces entry
but it would be "iface eth0 int dhcp". Where on your network is the dhcp
server, are you using a router for this or is this dhcpd on the Debian
machine?

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk