Re: [LUG] Network interface configuration

Robert Morrison wrote:

> blue:/home/rogie# ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:F4:87:B0:67
>           inet addr:169.254.77.79

> As a precaution I have run rkhunter which is a root kit hunter which
> came up clean. Can anyone help me with this problem?

The 169.254/16 network is used by zeroconf

http://files.zeroconf.org/rfc3927.txt

This is an attempt to automatically configure a network in the absence
of a DHCP service, or static addresses.

Without more details it is hard to say, but I'd guess something is
running in the wrong order, or the DHCP server isn't available during
boot for some reason.

Most GNU/Linux distro, zeroconf requires additional packages to be
installed, one could try removing them, as it is rarely a good idea to
use zeroconf in my experience.